Sunday, September 9, 2012

Lack of Fashion, reflections on us, and the Mouse

"Can I please take your photo?  We don't get many 'classy' visitors here at the park anymore"

This was said to myself and a friend a bit ago while at Disneyland.  She is a very attractive young lady, and she knows how to dress.

The thing was, we weren't all that made up.  I was wearing slacks, a white Hawaiian vintage and a fedora.  She had a beautiful summer dress, had done her hair and had her white parasol.  The thing was, we weren't even really dressed up.. we just made a little effort.

But we stood out.  We were stopped constantly.  People brought their daughters to my wife, just to say hello.  From behind my sunglasses, I watched people stop, jaws dropped, mouthing 'wow' as my wife passed them.  I realized, people thought, we were in costume.  Even a Disneyland Staffer asked us if were were there as 'theme guests' for Carsland.

A few days later, we attended Dapper Day at Disneyland, and we at least had a lot more company.  Loads of people were dressed up in their 50's finest, and what struck me most was how happy everyone was, and what a sharp contrast we made to the average guest, dressed in shorts, sandals and some t shirt.

Now, I am a creature of comfort.  I love my old boots, my ratty shirts, etc.  The love of my life winces at most of my fashion choices.. but I really had to wonder... what does this say about us, not just individually, but as a culture.

Looking around.. it came to me.

Cheap.

In general, we dress cheap.  Most of the people around me, were wearing a T shirt that probably cost half a dollar to make in some overseas sweatshop,  and a pair of shorts that likely cost 15 at walmart.  Little is well made, and no one expect it to last more than a year anyway.  You just buy another cheap shirt when the first one falls apart.

Why is that?

Have we, as a country, become conditioned to our own slide into poverty, mass fed the clothing equivalent of a happy meal?  Have we lost any desire to show a bit of pride?

I am not willing to change out my entire wardrobe for dapper slacks just yet, but I am starting to notice what I am saying in my dress.  Heck, its so unusual to go out wearing your 'sunday best', people treat you remarkably well when you do.. perhaps it is worth it from that point alone.


No comments:

Post a Comment