Thursday, October 4, 2012

Presidential Debate: Round 1


Both sides lowered expectations and as a result, no one really came off disappointing, but I have to admit, I was a little dismayed about the President's performance.  He seemed, tired and at times a little frayed.  I guess, if I had to sum it up, he appeared to be there as an obligation, not because he wanted to be there.  I suppose, after the last four years, I probably wouldnt want more of the same, either.

Romney, on the other hand, brought his A game.  He was alert, he was charismatic, with a wink and a nod, I could really believe a vote for him would be OK.  He appeared confident, and inspired confidence in return.  As a leader, I could believe in him, and follow his banner.

At least, until I start questioning where he is asking me to go, and realize, I still don't have an answer.  When I put aside the shiny new image, and compare that to his track record, his past comments and stances, I am even less sure.  The man I saw debating the President simply didnt exist a year ago, a month ago, even a few days.

And then, I remember, I am seeing a VERY successful company man.  He is a figurehead, and his job is to pitch the corporate line to his target audience of stakeholders.  That pitch, changes, depending on what the company dictates.  He doesn't make decisions, he only sells the corporate boards direction to the rest of the company.

In that context, the change makes more sense.  Hes a dynamic speaker, but his message will always be to garner support, and not really carry his own message.  Hes offering selling points, but the one thing missing in the debate was anything resembling a concrete plan.

And frankly, Im not surprised.  I dont see how his numbers work.  I need more than a smile and a wink to believe Romney.  I have a hard time believing that corporate entities will really cover folks with pre existing conditions out of the goodness of their hearts.. because its bad business.  Romney knows that.  He also knows, that his proposal is that of the current law.. where yes, you have to be covered, as long as you haven't gone over 90 days without coverage.. then.. well.. you are either SOL or you get hit with rates you cant afford.. so No, I don't believe his line.

The more I go over what was said, and more importantly, what wasn't, I realize, I have the same experience as going onto a used car lot.  Gloss over the bad parts, tell me what I want to hear, and by the way, I REALLY should consider getting the undercoating.

I dont need to feel good.  This country doesn't need a nice warm handshake.  We are smarter than that, even if Romney doesn't think we are.  We need solutions, and a real plan.  We need elected officials who are willing to make a plan happen, and not play partisan politics, who's primary objective is to oppose one man.

That said, the President needs to really appear that he is at the helm.  He is, by nature, quiet, someone who plots, and thinks.  I think, its possible, a lot of the debate was to intentionally let Romney take enough rope to hang himself with.  Perhaps he just played it cool because there were so many ways to be damaged on this topic.  Still, his performance bordered on apathy.

No comments:

Post a Comment